Data is valuable, and so is the science to uncover, unlock, and understand it. The role of a data scientist is of paramount, and growing, importance to organizations across many verticals.
By bringing together concepts from computer science, statistics, engineering and applications; data scientists make sense of big data by combining it with domain knowledge to unlock value for industry. The Master of Data Science (online) program at UC San Diego is an affordable, advanced, interdisciplinary degree that provides formalized training in data science for those who want to enter or advance their career in this burgeoning field. Apply now to join this exciting and rewarding program!
Deadlines for a Fall 2022 program start:
- Application Opens - January 21
- Priority Deadline - March 1
- Final Deadline - May 18
Successful applicants must hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent from an accredited institution in the United States or from a recognized university-level academic institution abroad and at least a B average (3.0 GPA), or its equivalent, by the time they enroll.
We expect that incoming students will have completed an introductory programming course, multivariate calculus, and linear algebra. For students without this background, we encourage them to consider exploring this content on their own. Some recommended resources include:
Applications Requirement Checklist
- Online Application: UCSD Application for Graduate Admission
- Application Fee - *** FOR A LIMITED TIME THE APPLICATION FEE IS BEING WAIVED *** APPLY NOW! ***
- US Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Undocumented Applicants: $120.00
- International Applicants: $140.00
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- International applicants only: Scores for the TOEFL or IELTS Academic Training exam to demonstrate proficiency in the English language.
** Transcript Note
Unofficial transcripts should be uploaded online to the UCSD Application for Graduate Admission. This is all that is required for the application process.
- Review the Graduate Division transcript instructions carefully – Academic Records and Transcripts
- Please do not mail any documents to the department.
- If a student is offered admission to the program: Official transcripts of record from each university-level institution attended must be provided.
- A summary of credit transferred from an institution previously attended and recorded on the transcript issued by the school granting the degree will not suffice. Applicants should request that official transcripts of all previous academic work, including certification of degrees received or documentation of status upon leaving each institution, be mailed to the Graduate Division. Only official records bearing the signature of the registrar and the seal of the issuing institution will be accepted.
The GRE exam is not required to apply to the Master of Data Science program. If an applicant has already taken the GRE they may elect to include their scores when submitting the application for review. Applicants with valid test scores should request that ETS submit the scores directly to the UCSD institution code 4836; the department codes are not necessary. Information about the GRE is available from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website.
Please visit the FAQ page for additional information, or contact the department: